Friday, March 25, 2011

Autumn

Photo by Peter-Jon Grove
 
The weather has changed suddenly in Cape Town, almost perfectly coinciding with the first day of autumn in the Southern Hemisphere (this past Sunday).

It rained or was cloudy every day this week! It’s been a relief not to have hot summer weather, like we had on Saturday, and I must day I’m looking forward to not being so sweaty and stinky all the time. And yet, I was prepared for such a dramatic shift!



The first time I came to South Africa, I was in Cape Town from July to November, or winter into spring. Winter is mild here, especially when compared to Wisconsin, but the fact that most places don’t do centralized heating really makes a difference. When you’re soaked in a morning rainstorm, the chill stays with you all day. I got rained on this Wednesday when I was on campus, and found myself fantasizing about crawling back into bed for the rest of the day.

Photo by Peter-Jon Grove

Cape Town winter reminds me of a Kazuo Ishiguro novel—though life may not take place in the quaint British countryside, it still makes me crave bottomless cups of black tea, chunky knit sweaters, and a bed with a feather blanket under a duvet. If only I never had to leave the house in winter…


Photo by Peter-Jon Grove


2 comments:

  1. Considering the recent snow storm we just had in Minnesota, you're making a really strong case for me to get back into bed and read a book! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot stress enough the way central heat (or even a space heater) adds to my productivity. Otherwise, I just nap all day... Zzzzz

    ReplyDelete