Monday, March 7, 2011

A Proper Cape Town Weekend

About one month into my stay in the Western Cape, I can finally say I've been in Cape Town! Saturday was the perfect weekend day on the Cape. 

First stop of the day: the District Six Museum:

I first visited this spot as a student four years ago, and this is what I had to say.



Visited the museum for a book reading. This week I read A Walk in the Night by the late Alex La Guma, so I was excited to learn that his wife, Blanche, would be giving a reading from her own memoir of her life, her world travels, and her role in the Struggle (including a stay in prison).

I am very much looking forward to diving into my copy, which I got signed this weekend, and I think I'll give the memoir its own post.
Blanche La Guma reads from her memoir, In the Dark with My Dress on Fire

Took a stroll through the Company Gardens. It was a hot, hot, hot day, and the Gardens offered lots of shade.
This is the Centre of the Book, which I think means is an extension of the Cape Town Public Library.
Ahh, the Gardens. That shade was lekker!
Such sweet graffiti!
View of Long Street from the Dubliner.

Next stop: Community Chest Carnival in Wynberg. I'm still getting used to the season here--it's late summer early fall. But at the fair, at last, I made peace with the fact that I left winter in Wisconsin/New Jersey. That festival felt right:
Caught a lovely view of the mountain and Lion's Head on the drive home at dusk:

No comments:

Post a Comment