Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sunday: Woodstock

So, if Bellville is Cape Town's New Jersey, Woodstock is Cape Town's Brooklyn: lots of history, quickly gentrifying, still a bit dodgy in some areas... but all the mad artists and activists you want to meet live here.

PJ and I spent most of Sunday house-sitting for a friend. It was a bright day, and we kept the radio on the public jazz and Classical station the whole time.

Woodstock apartment


We began the day slowing reading the newspaper and dipping doughnuts into black coffee. Ventured out to go to the second-hand shop, more affectionately known as The Junk Shop. I was beyond excited to pick up two kinds of yarn, quite a few pairs of knitting needles and crochet hooks, and a novel for R 40 ($5 USD).



I'd finished the book I'd taken along (Numbers in the Dark by Italo Calvino) so I picked up One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitzyn. That afternoon, I knit this hat:


 Popped back into Obz for a coffee shake at Cocao Cha Chi, and then the weekend was over...




No comments:

Post a Comment