Monday, June 6, 2011

It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood

Yesterday was the most gorgeous Sunday I could have imagined, and I am so happy I brought my camera along! This is what my neighborhood in Upper Greenpoint looks like...


The shortcut to Ocean View Drive.
I really can't afford anything at the high-end Cape Quarter shopping mall, but even the walk to the ATM is pretty:


That is PJ crossing the bridge--if you squint, you can see him.


I love the sentiment on that rainbow, even if the "its" needs an apostrophe.

Someone needs to read "Eats Shoots and Leaves"!
Stopped into a memorial site about the neighborhood--I have to admit, I had no idea I lived in District 1 of Cape Town, an area that has always been about displacement. Because of the harbor, it was the first point of contact between Europe and South Africa. Apparently 90% of the Khoikhoi population was wiped out by smallpox pretty rapidly after their first contact with the Dutch.

My neighborhood was historically the home of slaves and sailors. Hmm.

Information about slave burials and disease in Cape Town. Dark subject, hit by the sun in an interesting way.

A sketch of a slave who lived in District 1.
 It's been a month and a half since I moved to town, and it still blows my mind that I can get to the city on foot. Here's a shot from Long Street:



Some wisdom from Kloof Street:


More Kloof Street, where PJ led me on a quest to find his favorite used book and record shop:


We got lost and ambled about for a while. But it was worth it, for the view of this rainbow:




And at the end of the rainbow, was this gem:

Books! Vinyl! Dreams really do come true.


Got cheapsie and delicious Indian food at Eastern Bazaar, then headed to Obz to watch the sun set.

I cannot imagine a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment