Sunday, September 25, 2011

Happy Heritage Day!

So, remember how Peej and I got a photo taken at an exhibition? We're very happy with the print, and I knew right away I wanted to make another frame to match the two I've already done.

So our first stop yesterday was the Book and Bric-a-Brac shop at St. George's Cathedral. I don't know why I find second-hand shops so appealing, but they always comfort me...









Peej made some finds he's very happy with, like these old-school headphones:


After researching the make and model of the phones on the Internet a bit, we realized he got a better deal than we'd expected. This brand is considered vintage by collectors, these headphones are selling for more than seven times what he paid for them on eBay.

This is just another reason I love Cape Town: This thrift shop has deals, and it is in the center of the city, and part of a pretty famous church. I mean, does St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC have a charity shop with good stuff at reasonable second-hand prices? I'm pretty sure the answer is no... (But if it does, TELL ME PLEASE.)

From the outside, looking into the Bric-a-Brac shop



Here is what's so great about Heritage Day: All the Iziko museums have free entrance!! First stop: SA National Gallery for art and photo exhibits. Then launched my fourth failed attempt to go to the Planetarium. All shows were "sold out," which I guess makes sense since tickets were free. Ah well.

I am planning to write a separate post about some of the exhibits and lectures I took in on Heritage Day. So keep an eye out for that... tomorrow or so.

Hot, bright day to celebrate Heritage Day.


Free entrance to the SA National Gallery!
From there, Peej and I got light meal at Marrakesh, which has the best specials on Long Street, in my opinion. First of all, I love to sit on the cushions with a book:






And our favorite special is three Moroccan pancakes (think honey and pecan) with coffee for R 17--that's like $2.50 USD. It's really hard not to pop in ever day, as a matter of fact...




Phenomenal day, but it was time to go home and get some school work done.

Well, first I got a little craftty...

Here's a cheap-o frame I got at the second-hand shop. Note the tacky gold paint on the inside, which was starting to chip off:


Sanded it down, then got messy:


TA-DA:


And there you have it,a whole set:



Before the sun set I was working on a PowerPoint presentation and tons of revisions to the research report. Called it a day sometime after 10 p.m. But all the geeking out feels better after a fun Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment