Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Death and the High Cost of Living

My semester is over!I finished my last exam yesterday at 3:30, and I don't think this has set in for me yet.

Halloween isn't a very big deal in Cape Town, but I was determined to observe it anyway... while also studying for finals.

Put in four or five hours of studying at Cocao Cha-Chi in Obz.




I decided about a year ago that I wanted to be Death, a character from Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, for Halloween this year. I take costumes SERIOUSLY.

But I had an impossible time finding an ankh necklace in Cape Town. So PJ made me one:



So we were set to be Death and Dream:


Those two are, well, brother and sister in the graphic novels. Oh well.

Black tank top: R 5 at church rummage sale. Eyeliner: R 16. Everything else hand-made or already owned.

Still impressed with this bad boy:



Allison also got crafty and made her own cat ears:






In retrospect, I may have gotten too tan to be Death? This is me, just dressed as myself, looking like Frida Kalho:

EVERY day is Halloween for me?

We all went out to a bar with an alleged costume party, but things were pretty low-key. I guess I cannot single-handedly force South Africa to celebrate Halloween.

Ah well, there was face paint at the bar:


Three weeks from today I'll be on a plane to JFK. I think that has given me some perspective--I'm trying to do my favourite things in Cape Town, or discover little things I never noticed before.

Like this typo inside Eastern Bazaar:


Also, I never knew there was upstairs seating! Magical to discover...






After passing Cape Town's flower sellers on the street every day, I finally made a purchase at one:


PJ got some pictures of the flower sellers before he had to return his on-loan camera at the semester's end. Sad times...




No comments:

Post a Comment