Saturday, November 24, 2012

Green Friday

Yesterday was Black Friday, or if you prefer (as I do), Buy Nothing Day.

Well, OK, I put some gas in my car, and later I went out to eat at a beloved local microbrewery.

But one great way to avoid the masses at the malls is to take a long walk. I hope my Friday was Green, not Black:







The trails weren't all cleared, though.

This is a picture of a tree blown on its side:


I saw this in person. I'm looking at a picture of it. I still find it hard to believe.



It's the holiday season, and I can sense that everyone wants to feel a sense of normalcy return. Unfortunately, this area is still recovering from a tropical storm, and other extreme weather. People lost their homes; we're not totally sure about what the death toll is; we're still trying to make sense of the destruction.

The effects of all the chaos creep in, in little ways as well.

There is a certain devastation that comes when you think to do something mundane--like take a walk to your favorite spot to write or think--but then you get there, and that place is gone--blow away, boarded off, or contaminated.

It's difficult to be patient when you're home, and you're surrounded by the familiar, and you know how things should be... but they're not. They can't be. It's hard to imagine this upcoming summer without the Jersey Shore.

I feel lucky that I know who and what to cling to during this time of disorientation: family, friends, positive goals at work, and the things that have always calmed me--a good novel, a long walk, music. Oh. And I've never had a bad meal at the Harvest Moon.


No comments:

Post a Comment