Sunday, December 16, 2012

There and Back Again: 12 Hours in BROhio


ROAD TRIP!

My youngest brother finished his semester at Xavier University in Ohio, so my mom and I drove out to scoop him up.

It had been six months since I'd been outside the Tri-State area. I love what I do, but man, it felt SO GREAT to drive away from New Brunswick for the weekend.

Got a head start Thursday night and slept in Mechanicsburg, PA. The Hobbit opened that night, and we seriously contemplated going to a midnight showing... But then those beds got very appealing.

What we talk about when we talk about The Rust Belt:



The next day's eight-hour drive went by seamlessly while we listened to an entertaining audiobook and The White Album.

As far as I can remember, I had never been to Cincinnati before. It was important to me to see where my bro has made his second home, and I was impressed with how nice his uni is!


Oh, and really proud to see that he and his seven room mates made this Christmas tree happen. It's made out of Mountain Dew cans (there's a new Halo out):



It's a small world--I have a friend from the Marquette Service Learning Office who lives in CinCin these days, so we all met up for dinner. (Hmm, the Epp Kids sure love our Midwestern Jesuit universities!)




We had an upstairs room at the Mt. Adams Bar & Grill to ourselves, and it was warm and cozy.


Only stayed one night in Sin-Sin-Nasty, BROhio before the long drive back through most of Ohio, 15 minutes of West Virginia, a never-ending stretch of Pennsylvania, and Southern NJ.

On the way back we listened to an album that played during some of my oldest memories.





No comments:

Post a Comment