Sunday, January 19, 2014

Vogue Knitting Live NYC 2014: Out of my comfort zone

Vogue Knitting Live in and of itself is a bit out of my comfort zone, but I was lucky enough to attend as an event volunteer. Volunteering let me have an insider's look and the event, and encouraged me to explore the whole multi-floor affair.

My mom and I signed up to volunteer together. Though we worked different shifts, it was great to experience this event with a partner.
Some of my volunteer tasks also had me out of my comfort zone. Waaaay out.

This is Vogue Knitting, so there were fashion shows. Multiple, quick fashion shows. And for two hours on Saturday, I was helping a model dress and change for the catwalk.

This is one of the racks I was in charge of:


Big, bulky, designer stitches:


I loved this experience! All the people backstage were incredibly nice. The model I worked with had a great sense of humor. Another model asked to be taught how to knit, and said she recognized casting-on from her time fly-fishing.

The other volunteers were warm and friendly, and I loved picking their brains for knitting knowledge. I found out I'm not the only American who knits Continental style, and that I'm not the only knitter who never learned crochet. There are more of us!

And volunteers had cool knits to show as well:



The world of high-fashion knitting is new to me. I'm dedicated to re-purposing and crafting with recycled materials, so it's hard for me to fathom purchasing one skein for $50 or more. But that doesn't mean I won't look at these beautiful garments in awe!



Trying new yarns was made easy at a display called Yarn Tasting, where folks could try knitting with a certain brand and blend of yarn before deciding to buy it. So. Fun.


More Yarn Tasting.




And finally, not to toot my own horn, but I am insanely proud of this pic I took from the Seacaucus train station. TOOT TOOT it is pretty dope:

Dopeness.





No comments:

Post a Comment