Sunday, August 31, 2014

Long Weekend's Labor: Eating All the Food

I have three back-to-back days off from work this weekend! And all I have been doing is eating delicious foods!

I have some very important breaking news: I have discovered the perfect poppy seed bread.

THIS IS A BIG DEAL. This sweet bread is an important part of holidays in my family, and getting poppy roll on a non-holiday occasion is a special treat. In my hometown there are a few options for places to get this (I know the delis but I don't know their names. They're just called "The Polish Store" or "The European Store").

But then, this summer, a new loaf entered my life, from a Hungarian bakery a few towns over.

Samples! We just had to make sure that we liked each flavor. Several times.


Poppy bread tastes like waking up early on Thanksgiving, with cold feet. Walking into the kitchen to smell that the adults are already drinking coffee, and maybe hadn't slept much the night before because of all the cooking. The whole house smells like sauerkraut, brown sugar, apples. Dinner is early for us--12 o'clock sharp--but we're allowed to have a small plate from the meal to come. We are allowed a little slice of poppy bread.




The day continued to be one of the most Eastern European days of my life: from poppy seed bread to a deli for stacks of rye bread and different cuts of pickles.


A stack of meat. I didn't eat it! But I can admire it.



And then, because my life is hard, I took a nap and then went out for dinner.

I'm still getting to know a new camera, so I play with FLASH vs. NO FLASH after dinner at the Famished Frog in Morristown, NJ.

FLASH:



NO FLASH:



FROGS:



Morristown is a gem! We saw several bars/clubs in MoTown, and ended at Iron Bar:



No comments:

Post a Comment