Saturday, July 25, 2015

Celebrate Brooklyn: Modest Mouse at Prospect Park bandshell



I wasn't kidding when I said summer is for live music!

Made a mid-week excursion to Brooklyn for more outdoor music, to celebrate my brother's birthday.

On the drive to BLKN we hit some NJ staples, beginning with bubble tea at Fusion-Ti. We were feeling nostalgic for tangible music, for CDs (ask your parents what that means).

I think I spent more time inside Vintage Vinyl as a teenager than I did inside my high school.

I re-purchased albums I knew I loved but didn't own any more, for one reason or another.

In the years since high school, I have listened to and lost a ton of music. (Anyone remember Ruckus? The day I could no longer access that library was a dark one indeed.) It's uncanny to realize that I never owned physical copies of some of the music that has meant the most to me. (I crashed two laptops in college AND BACK IN MY DAY, THERE WAS NO 'CLOUD'!)


Now we had music to get us to Brooklyn.

Gene Ween was the opening act, a treat indeed. Both sets were weird. Perfect.

The last Modest Mouse album I bought was We We Dead Before the Ship Even Sank. I'd heard that there was a new album out, but you'd never know it--they opened with "Fire it Up" and played some of my favorite tracks from The Moon and Antarctica (2000!). After "Tiny Cities Made of Ashes" and "Paper Thin Walls," my night was made.

OK, yeah, they played "Float On." But when that huge ensemble plays the song live, it's hard to believe I ever heard it on Z100 in 2004.



Isaac Brock had a lot to say to the audience--and I couldn't decipher a single word. It endears him more to me, somehow. His lyrics are philosophically weighty and ambitious ("Lives" forever. They didn't play it live but I've been listening to it on repeat ever since the show), and when the words are sung I catch every cadence and nuance. Music must be so liberating for him.

And weird. Always, also, weird.


No comments:

Post a Comment