Saturday, January 23, 2016

Make It, Don't Buy It: 2016

It turns out grad school is pretty expensive. Especially when you're paying off two other degrees. And a car. And rent.

But that's OK, because mostly, I want to work hard, and read books I already own. And I want to make things.

I've been trying to make every meal and spend my free time writing, reading, using my hands, building things... anything except spending money.

I have been making things! It feels great.

Quilting

I started learning how to quilt this fall. First project: baby quilt for a high school friend.

First step: cut circles, arrange circles.

Weeks or months later--all is attached!

Final step, WRAP BABY IN QUILT.

Optional step: hypnotize baby with fabric patterns.

Next quilt: outlined!



Knitting
Now that I've finally given this as a gift, I can post pictures online!

Let me first proclaim my love of Pins and Needles yarn shop in Princeton, NJ. Lovely shop, lovely alpaca yarn:


Love.


Lovely Christmas gift, from Fringe Supply Co., which inspired me to learn stripes!




Cooking
Or, at least, juicing and getting to know a food processor. Two ways I've been trying to keep up my energy in spite of dark, cold, and over-packed days: energy balls and fresh smoothies.

Apricot Energy Balls
130g unsulfured dried apricots
2 tbsp. cashew butter
2 tbsp. melted coconut oil
3 tbsp. chia seeds (plus more for rolling)
80g ground almonds
Instructions: Throw into food processor, blend up, roll into bite-sized balls.

Yummy Green Juice
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 cup frozen kale
1 large sweet apple, chopped
1 cup chopped cucumber
1 tablespoon pea protein powder
1/4 cup frozen mango
1 fresh mint leaf
1/2 tablespoon virgin coconut oi
a few splashes of water

Blend. Drink. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment